Search This Blog

Thursday 21 July 2011

It all started that night:


That was the previous  night of my last exam
I went out into our backyard only to find a fat squirrel struggling to climb up to the rocks where its nest lay…I was reluctant to pick it up and put it back in its nest because its family would disown it if they smelled human scent on it..
Since it ws not visibly wounded, I assumed it would find its way home easily…
Sadly..the next morning we found it dead, and we had a suspicion that it was a pregnant squirrel..we looked around for possible babies and finding none, I left for college, disappointed..Because just that night I had a strangest dream that its offspring would be found and id be taking care of them..
I was preparing for my exam in college and got a call from mother that they found the babies!!!!

They had fallen out of the nest from crevices in the rock onto the hard ground! L
They had been squeaking for their mommy and out of pain from the antbites( those ants!!!!!! Arrrgh!!) and thy might have been hungry and dehydrated too L
I was more than eager to forget my exam and go home to see my squirrels!! But sadly my degree and the university played a cruel game and held me up in college till six..
And then I had to go pick up my sister from work..
All in all by  the time I got to see the babies it was nightfall and they were fast asleep snuggled in a cozy mobile cardboard box with warm fluffy scraps of clothes..

After extensive research online about baby squirrel care, I tried feeding them water and honey and regretted that they had been fed few drops of cow’s milk by the unaware neighbors in the afternoon..i was hoping that they would not be harmed…

That night I kept a hot water bag inside the box for them and in no time drastic improvement in form of the 2 squiiis crawling around the box was my source of joy!!
(did I forget to mention that 3 squiiis were initially found and one died cos it had drenched in rain searching fo mama squiiii L  )


I tended to them upto 3 in the morning changing heat source and rearranging their ‘nest’ and mostly lost in their beauty of delicacy, innocence and the godlike quality we are attracted to in newborns!!!

Morning brought more activeness and resulted in more joy to me…the killjoy was that I realized, we are not allowed to keep native spiecies such as my squiiis as pets(I so badly wanted them pets)  and also that such young babies are hard to survive without expert care..
So against my will, I called up PFA-people for animals and asked them to take care of them..and rescue them…for, after all the troubles those little ones had gone through they deserved full happy life..:)
A volunteer was sent the next day and sadly I was in college and coundnt say ‘goodbye until next tym!’
Sadly that goodbye for then became goodbye forever for one of my squiiiis as it died the next morning leaving its brother alone and in new company….i got to know that it was deadonly when I went to PFA the next day!!!
It was a huge emotional blow for me because I became attatched to my squiiiis…
Im saying no more of what happened next(among many things that happened next, I called the volunteer who carried the squiii and told him I held him responsible or my squiii’s death)

Wel.. after that I went once more to pfa to be a volunteer(secretly to get to see my squiiii ) and it was happy growing and fluffy already…
Well..the little one…wherever you are, im sure you are in a better place than earth and may you be happy there..
And bigone here, I love you loaaaddds and hope you grow to be a headman of your family tree and live a long full happy life in open!!
LOADS OF LOVE TO MY SQUIIIS…


fact for the day: do not feed milk to squirrels!! pedialyte or dogfood in proper ratio is better...
AND BEFORE YOU TRY TO TAKE CARE OF ANY PLANT OR ANIMAL LEARN ABOUT THEM!

1 comment:

  1. Humanity does exists, I am glad not everyone has lost there love towards animals and nature. One small act of kindness goes a long way in making this world a better place.

    ReplyDelete